Australia stops criminals from stealing more than $ 17 million from pension funds
Australian authorities have said they have stopped cybercriminals from stealing more than US $ 17 million from the country’s pension funds and launched a series of actions to stop further overseas money transfers, police reported on Monday. Australian Federal (AFP).
Home Secretary Karen Andrew announced on the same day a new joint action against cybercrime that will begin in March 2022.
“This AFP-led cybercrime hub will be state-of-the-art and ensure Australia is the world leader in cybersecurity,” Andrew said. “Australians work hard for their money and AFP works tirelessly to prevent cybercriminals from scamming, stealing and defrauding them.”
Previously, AFP had identified with the help of a foreign law enforcement agency a criminal marketplace linked to the online sale of cybercrime software. Officers found more than 500,000 compromised online credentials and identified both victims and offenders.
In 2020, AFP’s Operation Dolos saved more than $ 6 million from theft by cybercriminals of pension funds.
In one case, a woman from Canberra was tricked into transferring more than $ 900,000 to a bank account controlled by criminals when purchasing a property.
Likewise, an elderly woman transferred over $ 350,000 to a criminal account after a cybercriminal posing as her lawyer told her to do so. The police managed to recover over 80% of the money from the women.
That same year, AFP identified 27,000 potential victims and charged eight offenders with 21 offenses, carrying out 163 disruptive activities.
“AFP, along with our partners, is disrupting highly sophisticated criminal syndicates both onshore and offshore,” Deputy Commissioner Justine Gough said, adding that police have investigated “a wide range of cybercrime methods with compromises of business email, industry / government intrusion, and malware at the top of the list.